Thursday, February 12, 2015

Countdown to Spring: It's a Blizzard ... and Then It Isn't

During my walk, there was intermittent snow flurry activity.  As I sat on the porch afterward, I watched as it became a light, pretty snow.  There were no clouds, but the sun shone through an area of what is referred to as "before snow" or "snow aloft" like it was shining through frosted glass.  It was wonderful to watch.

I went back inside and gathered my things to drive to the store and when I looked out again, it was snowing like crazy.  Uhh  ... huh?

The snow aloft was ahead of a bona fide snow squall, and it snowed for about 20 minutes.  Since it had been above freezing and the roads had been salted and sanded, it didn't stick, so driving wasn't a problem.  By the time I got to my destination, it had pretty much stopped.  I kind of knew it would because the flakes were actually in clusters.  Fast and heavily coming down clusters, but clusters nonetheless.

It did this two more times during the day as two weather fronts worked their way through – sunny skies to a pretty falling snow to a not so pretty blizzard-like snow and then back to sunny skies.  Alarming initially, but quickly over.

I've gotten to the point in the season when I wish this was the way the snow would always fall between now and when flowers start to bloom.  I know it's not going to be the case, but I can dream.

Only 36 days until spring.

Click here to view the next entry

No comments: