Monday, February 16, 2015

Countdown to Spring: It’s Always Darkest Before the Dawn

I was up a few times in the night to make sure the boiler continued to boil on, which it did with only a few very slight struggling moments.  By the way, if anybody wants a recommendation for an additive to prevent heating oil from gelling in the line from the outside tank to the inside furnace or boiler, I’ll be more than happy to provide it.  It’s worked all season for me.

I was resisting the urge to look at the temperature before morning light.  Why look, anyway?  It wouldn’t make a difference to know and would only make me shiver at the thought of it.  Yet the weather geek within me still wanted to know.  So …

Still o’dark-hundred (5:30 AM):  -3°F (-19.4°C)

A sliver of light on the horizon (6:00 AM):  -3°F

6:30 AM:  -3°F

Sunrise (6:49 AM):  -4°F (-20°C)

7:00 AM:  -5°F  (-20.5°C)

When the sun is actually over the horizon and shining on my little corner of the world (7:14 AM):  -5°F

And the most important time of all …
When the temperature started to go back up (7:21 AM):  -4°F 

So, while it may be darkest before the dawn, it tends to be the coldest after that, at least in this instance.

Science lesson over.  Time to warm the tootsies again.  Stay warm, everybody.

Only 32 days until spring.

Click here to view next entry

No comments: