Friday, September 18, 2015

Countdown to Fall – Speaking of Migrations …

Monarch
I’ve been spotting Monarch butterflies in the past week, especially in the last two days.  For those who aren’t aware, they are migrators.  They begin their journey in late August to early September, taking about two months to get to their final destination in Mexico (California for the western states).  I’ve never seen a cluster of them hanging together on trees, their way of conserving heat in cooler temperatures, but I’ve definitely noticed an increase in their numbers as they singly and in groups start to leave the area.

I counted about a dozen in different locations over the last two days, which is more than I’ve seen of them the entire summer.  They are wonderful to watch, so delicate in form, yet strong enough to fly up to 100 miles in a day.

Most will make it to their winter haven and most will make the trip back in the spring.  Sadly, their numbers have been dwindling through the years, so there may come a time when they’re not around anymore.  Take a moment if you see them and enjoy the sight.  They are as much a sign of the change of season as their travelling feathered counterparts.

Here’s a link to learn more about them and perhaps even help prevent their disappearance from our lives.

Only 5 days until Fall.

1 comment:

Ruth M said...

I recall seeing Monarchs when I was living in NJ and NY, but I don't think I've seen any here. Certainly haven't seen any that I remember since moving to Louisville.

It's kind of amazing to think that something so ephemeral can travel so far.