Saturday, September 19, 2015

Countdown to Fall – Crickets in the Night

The sound of crickets outside is part of the night choir of August and September, with cricket sounds slowing down as the temperature decreases and then fading out entirely as fall progresses.  The male rubs his forewings together to make that chirping, done to attract a female, and the competition between the males for the lady cricket’s attention can be fierce.

It’s fine and dandy when it’s outside.  But, when they get inside, it’s another matter.  There are differing opinions as to whether crickets coming indoors is an accidental or deliberate action, assuming someone doesn’t actually want one as a pet.  There is also some question of how much of a nuisance they can be as house guests.  They don’t bite, but they do chomp on natural materials, things like clothes, books, etc.  However, their numbers inside tend to stay low, at least in my area, so that’s not really a problem, either. 

It wouldn’t be so bad if they were silent while inside, but they’re not.  One male cricket incessantly playing a love-sick song gets annoying after a while.  Two or more and it can very quickly become mind-numbing and not in a good way. 

Try to find them and put them outdoors or simply put them out of your misery?  Good luck with that.  Thinking you’re a predator, they go quiet when you get near them.  You can narrow down their location by being slow and light-footed, waiting for them to begin again, but that doesn’t mean you’ll catch them.  They’ve got the rapid retreat left, right and away almost down to perfection.

I had two male crickets wooing a female in the house this morning.  One was in the hallway behind a heavy table and one was in the bathroom behind the radiator.  Goodness knows where the female was, but the way they were going at it, she must have been midway between them.  I was glad I had to leave this morning because they were driving me nuts.  When I got home around noon, though, the noise had stopped.  Noise stopping doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve died or gone away.  It may have meant that someone won the dueling forewings competition, if you get my meaning. 

Cricket sex – what a concept.  Now, get out of my house, you noisy, horny insects!

Only 4 days until Fall.

2 comments:

Ruth M said...

This post made me chuckle. Oh yes, the many hunts for a hidden cricket that insists upon wooing during my sleep hours! I don't recall any making it into this house, but in NJ it was a regular occurrence.

They're almost out-noised by cicadas here. Now that is a racket to drive you insane. Cicadas make me think of UFOs landing and their cast-off husks are everywhere.

I take it that you don't consider a cricket in the house to be a good-luck charm? Or is it a matter of "good luck finding me"?

Lauren Swartzmiller said...

Thanks, Ruth. It's been silent indoors ever since yesterday with regard to my serenading crickets and it's not hurting my feelings. Cicadas are just as noisy here, but I've never had them come inside, so they can make all the noise they want.

I actually have a cricket on the hearth, but it's made of copper wire and was a gift from my brother a few years ago. Although I was raised to believe in their luck-bestowing capabilities, neither it or its live counterpart has brought me said good fortune.