Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Countdown to Spring: Under the Weather

Sorry to the handful of people following this blog right now.  I was more under the weather than I thought I was originally.  But, I’m feeling better today and am back to bore you.

I woke this morning to what I call snow-eating fog.  Warm air over snow cover can create a very dense fog.  It was dense enough that at sunrise, I couldn’t see more than 100 yards.  I could actually hear the foghorn from the lighthouse that’s about three miles away and it rarely comes on.  I call it snow-eating fog because the warm air is still eating away at the snow cover even with the ground-level clouds in place (that’s all fog is, really).  The temperature never got below freezing last night, so the snow cover has continued to shrink in the darkness.

As I looked out this morning at ground level, I saw MORE GROUND.  There’s still more white than brown and green showing, but the melting is becoming more apparent.  The sun is beginning to make its way through, however,  and the fog has thinned out a bit.  The temperature is supposed to be sunny and in the low to mid 50s today.  This works.  It’s supposed to head back down into the 30s and 40s in a day or so, with 10s and 20s at night.  But, the colder temperatures won’t be around for too much longer.

So, we’re all under the weather now.  But the weather is better, so it’s not quite so bad.

Only 9 days until spring,

Click here to view the next entry.

No comments: