Thursday, March 19, 2015

Countdown to Spring: The Final Walk of Winter

With the passage from winter solstice to vernal equinox a little over a day away, it seemed only fitting that I take my last walk of winter today.  I would take it tomorrow, but our forecast calls for snow and my enjoyment of walking in falling snow disappeared on 3/1.

The first thing I noticed was that the inch of snow I noted yesterday was happily gone.  The percentage of bare ground showing continues to increase with each above-freezing day.  What was at best 5-10% of ground showing two weeks ago is now 60-70%.  There is a little green growth showing among the brown, but not that much in the way of new green growth.  Mostly perennial grasses, both lawn and weed varieties, that hold their green throughout the year, but look a little tired right now, like they're just waking up.  There are things like crocuses, snowdrops, even daffodils which are pushing up slowly as well to remind us that more colorful days are coming. 

Another reason for my walk today was to check on the pussy willow along my regular wander route.  I was given permission by the owner to clip a few branches once the little fuzzy “flowers” show themselves.  While there were buds ready to pop, the pussy willow will likely not be in bloom until after spring arrives.  Perhaps next week, though, I’ll be able to bring my clippers and harvest a fuzzy bouquet.

The forsythia bushes I walked by are also getting ready to blossom, the buds larger than even a week ago.  Other trees are also showing signs of returning from their winter sleep.

As I walked past our millbrook, its meandering path now almost free of ice, I noticed a large bird land in a nearby tree.  Even without binoculars, I could tell it was a turkey vulture.  They don’t stay locally year-round and their return is like the swallows' return to Capistrano, just not as pretty and therefore, perhaps not as welcome by folks not aware of the important role they play as scavengers. 

The robin I mentioned seeing in a previous post has not been seen since.  I suspect he’s still around, perhaps looking elsewhere for meals and springtime housing.  However, I’m sure it won’t be long before I start to see the small flocks of them all over the place.

As I returned home, the sun’s warmth felt wonderful.  The last two days were incredibly windy and not walker-friendly.  But the calmer winds and blue skies of today were much more inviting and I even slowed my pace to savor them.  Bushes and trees  with leaves getting ready to show themselves, bird singing songs not heard in a while, all this and more  examples of the many cycles of renewal that spring has to offer those of us who are more than ready for them. 

This last walk of winter, with its reminders of better days to come, was pure joy, and I look forward to tomorrow, even if it snows.

1 day until spring.


No comments: