Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Countdown to Spring: It’s the Most Heaviest Snow of the Year

The title needs to be sung to the tune “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year”.  The irony of the choice should not be wasted,

I came, I saw, I shoveled.  I also took my time.  The snow was heavy.  The layer sleet and freezing rain that came down on top of that 4-5" didn’t help, either.  This stuff was the kind that you take a few shovelfuls of and then rest, take a few more and rest.  I’m not fan of ICU rooms.

Think of it as a Zen exercise, especially when you get to the super-heavy, super-sloppy plowed ridge(s) at the roadside.  Slow, deliberate movements, taking in the surroundings as you go.  No, not the more snow on top of snow scenario.  The buds on bushes and low-lying tree branches.  The hollowing of the snow at tree trunks from more direct sunlight and the sap starting to run.  The songs being sung by birds which are not all the same tunes you’ve been hearing all winter.  The signs are there and growing.  They may be hard to see unless you look for them, but they are there.

Now, excuse me while I go take some ibuprofen before my muscles and joints start to protest what I just did to them.

Only 16 days until spring.

Click here to view the next entry

No comments: