Friday, May 24, 2013

Working Out My Way

Regular push-ups are not for me, at least not yet.  Much as they're a strengthener of all the muscles that we really want to be at their most sculpted, getting there for the out of shape is not only not half the fun, but can also cause injuries.  I asked a friend who is a physician's assistant specializing in sports medicine about it and because of my still big beautiful woman status, he felt standard push-ups would put too much of a strain on my previously damaged lower spine as well as multiple other joints, including the shoulder I already had surgery on.  I was actually happy to hear that because doing just the five push-ups required of Bill Murray's character, John, to make $3 in the movie "Stripes" was an impossible task at the time.  I could do three before my body would have a "What the hell are you doing?" moment of rebellion and collapse.

Modified push-ups were suggested.  You know, the so-called girlie push-ups where you do them on flexed knees?  Nothing feminine about them, trust me.  However, my less than perfectly functioning left knee protested the kneeling pressure too much after just a few days, so they got abandoned. 

Wall push-ups were then suggested.  Wall push-ups were very do-able.  A little too do-able, a little too easy.  No resistance, no challenge, what's the point and what else you got?

On my own, I came up with the answer -- one-handed wall push-ups.  Now, these challenge the middle-age old girl.  Muscles respond to the additional work of pushing off more, but not all, of the body weight from the wall with one arm instead of two.  The threat of injury is lessened when done in reasonable numbers (30 for now, thank you).  In addition, tightening and strengthening of the abdominal or core muscles of the body requires conscious, voluntary effort with the two-handed wall push-up.  With my modification, I find they tighten whether I like it or not, something expected to happen with a regular push-up.  My arm muscles are also getting more of a workout as well.

My friend the PA was pleased.  I'm sure my orthopedic surgeon would also be happy that I'm not threatening all the nice work he did a decade ago.  Eventually, I'd like to be able to do regular push-ups without fear of things going snap-crackle-pop-ow! on me.  That's down the road a bit, though.  For now, my workout will continue to work toward that point, with my push-up solution part of the process.  It's all progression toward fitness, regardless of how it's done.

No comments: