Sunday, May 19, 2013

And the Winner Isn't ...

No, it wasn't me.  I don't live in Florida and have never been there.  I'd like to take a wander through it and every other state in the U. S. A. before I die, but it won't be on last night's Powerball winnings. 

I live in upstate New York, where big lottery winners rarely dwell.  Statistically, more lottery sales and wins in the Empire State occur below the Dutchess and Orange County lines -- you know, Westchester and Putnam counties, New York City and its boroughs, Long Island, etc.  Places where this country mouse hasn't been in more than half a lifetime.  But hey, those southern New Yorkers didn't win it, either.

So, as per usual, my lowly single ticket didn't win.  Yes, I only bought one.  Only one set of numbers wins and if I can't pick it or be at the machine in that cosmic moment when it spits out the winning combination as a Quick Pick, then I shall remain markedly less than rich.  Touching on the odds of the matter, to improve my chances, another $2 for a another six numbers isn't even a drop in the improvement bucket.  I'm not even sure it's a mist that hovers over said bucket and then evaporates.  If I can't spend hundreds or, even better, thousands of dollars to actually slightly increase my chances of winning in one game, then screw it.  I've got bills to pay and groceries to buy.

I sincerely wish the person(s) with the winning ticket in Florida all the best. I don't know if they'll take it as a lump sum or as payments.  I did the math, and had the fantasies, for the latter.  After taxes ('cause you know they're gonna be first in your line to be paid), there would still be a guaranteed income of at least $12 million a year.  I'm sure whoever won can and will live well on whichever option they take.  All I ask is that they keep these paraphrased words from "Hello Dolly" in mind:  Money is like manure.  It can't do a thing unless it's spread around, encouraging young things to grow.

Ah, well -- back to the work grindstone.

No comments: