There comes a point when you realize it's time to e-walk away from some tihings. I reached that point with Instagram today and deactivated my account.
It was the place where I death-scrolled to death. It was the place where I had only one friend, someone I know in real life. The rest are e-acquaintances and/or business accounts. The line never blurred between reality and online as far as interaction goes, although my bossy-boots self was trying to emerge. Yeah, no. No one wants that.
Facebook, the other side of the Meta coin, is similar, although I have both family and friends there along with e-acquaintances. I also never death-scrolled on Facebook. I know you can, but I don't plan on starting now. I don't have a Tik-Tok or other social media account, although I tried to set one up at one point. But in my old age, I found it too hard to navigate.
My Instagram days, like many, started during the COVID pandemic. Although COVID hasn't gone away, the reason for being isolated by it and needing distraction and e-interaction has definitely waned.
It's not for everyone to take a set back from social media platforms, and for many it's the only thing they have. I get that and won't begrudge them for it. But for me, it's time.
No comments:
Post a Comment