Monday, March 20, 2023

My Silly Homage to Spring – Poetry for a Monday Afternoon


I love these flowers with their quirky unfolding and only one night of fragrant bloom, but their hard seed coat make them a bear to get started.  

I scrape, I cut, I stab at your shield
Hoping for just one point where you will yield
I then will drown you for an entire day
In hopes of reaching that heart you keep at bay
I then will bury you because it’s what you need
To take root and grow, my moonflower seed

 © 3/20/2023 Lauren Swartzmiller  



Happy Spring, Everyone.

1 comment:

Lauren Swartzmiller said...

My moonflower had a good year. Fact is, in all the years I grew moonflowers previously (hadn't since I moved in 2017), none did as well as this one prolific plant. It had one flower very early and then nothing for close to two months. But after that, the vining started and 19 blossoms followed, with at least two more opening before our first frost brings an end to the season sometime later this month. Moonflowers are annuals in my area, so I will have to restart in 2024.

With all the things wrong this year, this was a very welcome and right sight.