Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Countdown to Spring – Welcome Aboard the Vernal Equinox

So much as it doesn't feel like it, spring arrived shortly after 12 noon my time.  It's cloudy and windy and feels chilly and raw.  Not very springlike. 

Did I mention we're looking at another Nor'easter?  No?  Well, that's because I'm in denial.  It's spring, after all.  Shouldn't its arrival have put a end to that nonsense?  This one could go several ways for my area.  I'd rather it just go away.

I took a walk up the street and saw crocuses in full bloom.  Now, I know this patch of flowers because I planted them myself many years ago and they've naturalized into a very nice two-foot circle of purple, yellow, cream and white crocuses, in that order.  I saw the dark purple ones today.  In a couple of days, the yellow, cream and light purple ones will open up.  The white ones are always last, opening as the first ones are fading.  I look forward to their arrival.  They have been my proof for over two decades that winter really is leaving.

Still looking for the elusive flock of robins I keep hearing about.  I see birds of the right size, but when I get closer, I realize it's starlings.  Eventually, I'll see one robin, then more.  Of course, it might not be until after April starts, the way things are going.

Then, there are the turkey vultures.  Just as the swallows return to Capistrano in California and the buzzards return to Hinckley in Ohio, the turkey vultures return to roost along the Rondout Creek waterfront of Kingston in New York.  Yeah, they're not the prettiest birdies, but they serve a purpose, and at least they show up.  You hearing me, robins?

And so, we've survived another winter, one that's not ready to exit quickly and quietly.  But exit it will, and we can get on with enjoying warmer, longer days and all the activities that go to the wayside during the winter months.  Get out there and enjoy.

Happy spring, everyone.




No comments: