Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Countdown to Spring – Finishing February on a Warm Note

When I got home this evening just before 5 PM, I looked at the temperature and it was 54°F.  It reached the high 50s today.  Granted it wasn’t as balmy, pleasant and very wrong temperature-wise as the 75°F we hit last Wednesday, but it was welcomed nonetheless.  Tomorrow will also be in the 50s, then we’ll drop back into the 40s for Friday, when we’re predicted to have snow again.  Sort of like last Friday.  It’s a bit of a roller coaster, but I’m kind of liking the ride, especially when the snow melts away so quickly.

The migratory birds are starting to show up.  Some are expected now, but some are early.  Sadly, my first robin sighting was a dead one on my walk home this evening.  It was likely struck by a car.  However, I was told that there are flocks of them in the area, alive and well, which makes me happy.  Lots of territorial singing by the birds now.  It’s one the signs of spring that I always enjoy, especially at first light in the morning.  A quick note on that – loving the slowly lengthening daylight hours.

Trees and bushes are definitely getting ready to send out leaves to greet the day.  But except for my favorite pussy willow, which has slowed a little in putting on its fur coats, I’m still just seeing buds.  Bigger than before, of course, but still just buds.  End of February would be way to early for anything like leaves and blooms in anything but greenhouses here in New York, crocuses and snowdrops aside.  Too many unpleasant snow and ice surprises can happen right into early April.

However, as a final note, I feel the need to say one thing.  I know it’s premature to do this, given that there’s still three weeks until Spring. 

But, HEY, (Punxsutawney) PHIL, YOU WERE WRONG!

Only 20 days until Spring.

No comments: