Monday, March 30, 2009

Whoops

What a lovely day Saturday was. Sunny, warm, beautiful. All Spring days should be like Saturday. It was so nice, I left the moonroof open on my car. Early Sunday morning, it rained. For a couple of hours. I even ventured out into it to get my paper and to wander down to my neighbor's house to drop off the paper. I passed my car a grand total of three times. Did I notice the moonroof open? We even had a dry period of several hours, when I could have gone out to get the cat litter out of the car that I had been too lazy to bring in Friday. Never happened. Even as the cold front passed through the area around 8 PM Sunday, with its thunder, lightning, wind and, oh yeah, a 45 minute deluge, it never occurred to me that there was something amiss with my VW that could have been easily corrected by a more diligent owner.

This morning, as I ventured out again to get the paper, I noticed condensation on the inside of the windshield. I wandered over to check to see if I had left a window open. Golly, I finally noticed I left the moonroof open. Talk about a soggy interior. The front passenger seat had been spared to some extent by all the crap that tends to accumulate in a car owned by a single driver who rarely has passengers. But, there was still the wet and sloppy mess of papers, newspapers, mail, and seat covers to deal with. I'd leave the car open, but they're forecasting showers for this morning.

Oddly, I'm not upset. I'm not mad at my neighbors for not noticing before I did, since my moonroof being open isn't an obvious sight. I'm not mad at the weather forecasters for not being psychic enough to know that winter-weary people might need to be reminded to close their windows, etc. BEFORE the rain cleanses the inside of their car. I'm certainly not mad at my Creator for deciding we needed to have over an inch of rain yesterday. I'm not even mad at myself. Okay, I called myself an 'idiot' once during the hauling of newspapers that only needed some glue added to make great papier mache. But for the most part, I giggled my way through it and am still laughing. I think I'll have it dry soon enough that I won't have mildewed everything, so I don't think I'll regret my humor. Sometimes you just have to appreciate the absurdity of the moment and the actions (or inactions) that led to that moment.

Now, to go throw some towels down on front seats.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some 2 decades ago, I was the deliriously happy owner of a VW Golf that had a sunroof.

I left it open on more than one occasion.

Hope for warm, sunny days with low humidity and take advantage of every single one of them.

Lauren Swartzmiller said...

This is actually the send time I got got caught with that roof window open. First time was at work a couple of years ago. Couldn't see outside from where I sat and didn't know that the skies had opened up until someone came over and casually announced it was pouring outside. Ran out and quickly closed things down, then spent the rest of the day soggy head to toe, typing my litte heart out. I took some solace in that I wasn't the only one making the mad dash to the car that day, though.

Car is open in the wind and sun right now, and I vow to go close things up at the first sign of darkness, be it clouds or end of day.