Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Adventures in Sleep Study Land, Part 1

I've had problems sleeping for a long time. Years, actually. I've blamed it on the shifting hormones of my middle years, as I've been awakened by that uncomfortably toasty hot flash sensation more than once. I've blamed it on the heat and humidity of some summer nights when I really can't find a cool spot on the sheets, but won't cave in and buy an air conditioner. I've blamed it on stress, although I'd slept like a rock at the most stressful times in my life previously. I even have blamed it on my body, knowing that excess weight (yes, folks, she's a tall, heavy set, greying brunette -- move on) can impact on the ability to breathe properly while sleeping. But what I never did until now was to actually investigate it properly.

Yes, modern medicine is wonderful. There is this place called a sleep study lab where they can see that, why yes, you do wake up a number of times a night and here's what's happening at those times as well as the time you're there. Shyness and self-consciousness must be tucked away for this test (more on that in a bit), as there is no reasonable scrap of sleep data left unobserved in this overnight stay. But the end result could be invaluable if quality sleep is what you crave. So accept or just get used to the concept of being under the sleep lab 'microscope' before you go or you may not snooze enough to help them help you.

I embraced it as an adventure. I also look at civil service exams as fun challenges, so I'm clearly in a weird category of test takers by myself. But, I was also a little nervous and decided that I'd bring my favorite pillow for comfort. Hey, they encourage bringing articles that encourage a good night's sleep, so don't laugh at my wittle piwwow.

I was met by the sleep technician, Amy, who I found personable and knowledgeable. She also didn't treat me like someone who had no clue. Respect for my knowledge always wins points with me. She directed me to my room while she finished preparing the another patient for the night of scrutinized snoozing. My room looked like a simple hotel room with full sized bed, TV, standard lamps, chairs, and a bathroom. Then came the not so standard items - camera on the wall, intercom, and the well-wired box that connected their medical monitors and computers to the well-wired box that was connected to each patient, including me. I had a silent moment of, "Yikes, how am I supposed to sleep with that attached to me?" then just gave in, pulled out the pillow from my overnight bag and tossed it onto the bed. Hey, the pillowcase even color coordinated with the decor. That had to be a good sign.

Part 2

No comments: