Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Countdown to Spring - The Day After and Still Digging Out.

I am tired of shoveling.  Last night, I dug out to and around the car.  I removed most of the snow from the car, which looked like massive snowdrift.  I dug through the snowplow-created ridge at the road at one spot.  That was partly a psychological need.  It was like breaking through a barrier back to normalcy.  I even dug from the road to one of the cat doors, not that furry feline beasts wanted to go outside.  I also started down toward the basement door and quit for the night once I got there.  My fingers were cold, my feet were cold, and I was just plain pooped.

This morning, I dug out to the road enough to get the car out this morning, dug to grass and ground to the kitchen cat door, then cut down into the side yard a bit more.    Showered, breakfast, then went to work.  The roads were intermittently crappy.  One of the streets I have to travel is actually a hill with a moderately steep incline.  Going up wasn’t bad, as it was clear to pavement.   Going down was still snow-covered.  I got in about 15 minutes late, but I was in good company as just about everybody else was late as well.  

Heading home, the roads were better, but that hill I came up looked exactly the same as when I went to work.  I drove down the still snow-covered side, but the driver behind me pulled over onto the cleared side to drive down to almost the bottom before pulling back into the proper lane.  Markedly illegal, potentially dangerous if someone pulled out from a side street, but better driving conditions.  I don’t have the chutzpah to try that because I’m inevitably the one who gets caught.

When I got home, I drove up like I was going to pull in, but rolled back only enough to get an idea of the minimum I had to shovel to park in my spot.  I parked, then shoveled more than enough to get the car off the road.  I also cleared the stairs into the side yard more, the area in front of the fuel tank, then started to work down the sidewalk toward the road.  I got maybe about three yards into that when I called it quits for the day.  I wasn’t as winded this time, but my muscles were still screaming and I was still tired afterward.  I need to crash now.  Shower can wait until morning, probably after I tackle some more shoveling.  

The rest of the walkway will likely not get done tomorrow.  It's probably going to take into the weekend before I get through the side yard to the road.  I am so happy that they delivered the heating fuel Monday night.

Did I mention we got about 18" of snow, with drifts up to three feet?  Ewwww.

Only 5 days until Spring.

No comments: