Sunday, February 07, 2021

Countdown to Spring - A Late Start

For those who still read my blog, you know I normally start this series on Groundhog's Day.  I did watch Punxsutawney Phil on 2/2, but was kind of busy shoveling out from the 18" of snow that fell on 2/1.  By the way, just because it's a light and fluffy snow doesn't make it any easier to clear off a second floor deck and walkway.  I am fortunate in that my neighbors came over to help clear the ridge of snow left by the plow and the area around my car, bless them.  I'm getting too old to be dealing with this stuff, yet love New York too much to consider relocating.


So, the groundhog did see his shadow on February 2, which means six more weeks of winter.  Was I surprised?  Not in the least.  Despite not wanting to deal in cold temperatures, snow, sleet and freezing rain, I know it's part of the process toward a normal spring.  The lack of normalcy of this past year due to the pandemic has given me an appreciation for normal seasonal weather and transitions.


Still, as I look out on falling snow again, which will be happening every other day for the next week, it makes me wonder about warmer climes and snow-free places, if only for a short while.


Only 41 days until Spring.

No comments: