Sunday, March 07, 2021

Countdown to Spring - Looking Down is Looking Up

Okay, not quite Snoopy Dance celebration time, but ever so much closer.  Lots of snowmelt over the last week and lots of bare ground showing. Interestingly, grassy areas seem to be the last to undergo the transformation.  Shame - brown ground is nice, but green is so much more supportive of spring fever.  


The ground around trees has shown the biggest melt, and looking up, I can see why.  Their branches show extensive budding.  They know it's time to wake from their dormancy.  I have a coworker who taps maple trees to gather the sap and make syrup.  Although he had slow start this year, he's seen the signs of tree life as well and is preparing both trees and equipment for this annual activity.  In the past, I dropped hints that I would welcome being a paying happy recipient of some of that freshly made syrup gold, but it's always destined for family consumption.


By the way, I FINALLY bought the soil to start my seeds and that'll get done today.  I may or may not have seedlings by the time I reach the end of this silly series for this year, but I'll still reap the benefits of the early start of my little herb garden sooner rather than later.  I don't start vegetable seeds because I don't have the room for much more than one or two veggie plants.  The patio tomato plant will be a purchase later on, maybe around my birthday in May.


This coming week will bring – be still, my heart – 50s and even 60s during the day.  It's going to drop back to the 40s again by the weekend, but if ever a pandemically isolated, winter-weary world could use some sunnier and warmer time, it's now.


Only 13 days to spring.



No comments: